Saturday, April 30, 2011

Adventures with Fox Kits

Had planned on going to Hills Creek Lake today to get sunrise photos for the Park Office--but it was very overcast and stormy so decided not to drive the two hours.  Later morning cleared and I went to some of my local haunts!  The warblers are moving in.  Saw thirty three different species of birds today-not a great count-but encouraging after a long winter.  A friend gave me a tip on where I might see some fox pups .  I "camped out" behind a log for a few hours and it paid off.  One of the little guys came out to play.  I got some ok shots of him but nothing I was real pleased with.  After going home to pick up Joan-we returned and before we got to the spot we saw the adult fox and could not get any pictures.  We went on and set up behind some brush.  Soon a Raccoon came ambling through and we were able to photograph him.  He decided to snoop around and crawled into the fox den-Well, he came out a lot faster than he went in. 


Canon MK IV 1D; Canon 600 f4 with 1.4TC; @f8 1/200 ISO800




Soon a fox pup emerged from the exit hole and we got some good pictures in nice light-but a little back lit.  Soon we saw more motion and it was a second pup out running and playing.  


Canon MK IV 1D; Canon 600 f4 with 1.4TC; @f10 1/160 ISO800 EC+.67

Canon MK IV 1D; Canon 600 f4 with 1.4TC; @f8 1/400 ISO800


While watching them, I saw a bird coming at us fast and it was a Cooper's hawk and it landed in tree on a branch above my shoulder-he was too close to take a picture (minimum focus distance on the big lens is 18 feet).  We were also treated to Yellow bellied sapsucker, chestnut sided warbler, pileated woodpecker, red bellied woodpecker, downy woodpecker and cackling eagles.  


Canon MK IV 1D; Canon 600 f4 with 1.4TC; @f9 1/1000 ISO500

Canon MK IV 1D; Canon 600 f4 with 1.4TC; @f7.1 1/1000 ISO400

Canon MK IV 1D; Canon 600 f4 with 1.4TC; @f9 1/125 ISO500


The eagle nest that had been near there was blown down in recent storm.  Other hikers were along the river and apparently the eagles were along the river as well.

Enjoy!

Until Next Time

Jim Borden

6 comments:

BearBoy said...

Awesome shots. Patience pays off!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - these shots are amazing! It looks as if the animals were posing.

Anonymous said...

I like the fox pups, they are so nice.

joco said...

Hiya,
I know equipment 'does not a photographer make'...
...but wouldn't I love to have just one shot with those goodies you are using.
600 mm f/4
Now I'm sighing. Getting nowhere fast, well, not so fast, with my ancient 70-210.

The pictures are sublime, as usual. That far distant raccoon is a delight to see.

Willard said...

A stunning array of images, Jim. I have not had a good encounter with the foxes when I was shooting either a DSLR or HD Video.

Also I would love to get a shot like that of a Pileated woodpecker. I did get some superb video last summer, but no good stills.

Tammy said...

A great bunch. I love the young fox!