Saturday, August 21, 2010

Backyard Whitetails and Some Sunflowers

The deer have started to frequent our "backyard" as we approach the fall.  This morning we were treated to  a doe, a fawn and a nice 8 point buck for about an hour.  The doe and fawn both spent some time in our old standing corn that we have left for the birds and animals.  The buck remained in the shadows so we did not get any pictures of him in the Golden Light.


The doe has the beautiful Golden light on her.  As a wildlife picture, this would be heavily critiqued by pros for being "too busy".  However, as a picture of a deer in a natural habitat it has value.


We took a day trip on Friday and we came upon a sunflower field.  The lighting was good so we spent some time taking photos.  I took some with a 24-105 lens set at f14 and then some with a 600 lens set at f14 to try to illustrate the different depth of field effect that you get at the same f stop setting with differing focal lengths.  The longer focal length decreases the depth of focus while at the same time somewhat flattening the image.

First Image 105mm focal length, f14, ISO 200, 1/100

Second image  600mm focal length, f14, ISO 200, 1/160


Until next time!


Jim Borden

8 comments:

Willard said...

A wonderful series of photos, Jim. I actually do really like the doe photo as I love the looks of that type of habitat, the light, and of course the main subject.

I actually know people (in most cases they are not photographers) that do not like the close-up wildlife photos with out of focus backgrounds from the big lenses. I like both kinds, but I do prefer the background on the sunflowers taken with the 600mm, although I would be proud to take either one.

That is a nice buck, too. I need to get back to SNP soon and get some more velvet photos before they shed.

Phil Slade said...

Love the loon Jim.

Teresa~ Gardening with Soule said...

wow what a buck that is. they are all so beautiful. wonderful pictues, they are so shy it's not an easy task.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Beautiful bright sunflowers! :) Mine aren't out yet, but then they didn't open until October last year.

DeniseinVA said...

Whatever the critics might say on your golden photo of the deer, to my humbles eyes it is an outstanding shot, as are all the rest.
An English Girl Rambles

Anonymous said...

I love the deer pictures. What beautiful visitors you have!

Cheryl said...

I loved the deer photos, what a treat to have them visit. I love to watch a doe that shows up here occasionally. The sunflowers are so cheery!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I've missed some of your posts. Haven't been blogging since July. Tend to lean toward facebook, but I'll try to blog at times!
Love these photos. Sunflowers are so cheerful!